Course Counselling Information
Course Counselling interviews will be conducted by our College Counsellors, who will talk with your child about the choices they have made. They will ask the student to reflect upon their achievements so far, and to explain how and why the pathway they have chosen may suit them.
The Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) is the main senior secondary certificate in Victoria. It recognises successful completion of secondary education and provides a valuable pathway to tertiary study and employment.
A VCE program includes a number of different VCE studies (or subjects), with the majority consisting of four units that can be completed over the two years (a unit represents one semester or half a year of work). Units 1 and 2 are typically taken in Year 11, while Units 3 and 4 are usually completed in Year 12. Many schools provide the opportunity for students to study Units 1 and 2 of some VCE studies in Year 10 and Units 3 and 4 in Year 11.
The video explains the VCE in our college. Download the VCE Course Counselling Presentation
The Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL) is an exciting alternative pathway option for Senior Secondary education to the VCE. It is a rich program that can be tailored to suit the skills, interests, and goals of a student. It is the ideal pathway for students who are keen to embark on employment, an apprenticeship or traineeship or continue further education in the TAFE sector. In some cases, VCAL can be recognised as an entry point into Higher Education. at TAFE. Students should seek careers advice and research their options before making decisions.
The video gives you an idea of what the VCAL is and how it might work for you. Download the VCAL Course Counselling Presentation
What is VET?
As part of your senior schooling, you are now able to study courses that not only contribute towards your VCE, VCAL and ATAR (with certain restrictions), but also give you an industry recognised qualification when you complete that course.The courses are called Vocational Courses and can be studied at school or through another Registered Training Organisation such as TAFE.
These Vocational courses form part of the Australian Qualifications Framework. This is the national standard of training and means that a qualification you receive here, is recognised anywhere in Australia. The courses are also “Competency Based” – this means that you move through the course and achieve the relevant qualification by demonstrating that you have the knowledge and can perform the skills required for that qualification. So, the faster you can learn and demonstrate these, the quicker you can complete the qualification.
The video will explain the operation of VET in our school. Download the VET Parent Information Session Presentation
To find out more about SELLEN and Chisholm, download the following brochure and presentation:
ZiSS – Zoom into Senior Studies
Download the Zoom into Senior Studies (ZiSS)
What is ZiSS?
- A Senior School Taste Tester program for year 10 students transitioning into year 11
- A two day program where students rotate through wide range of senior subjects
- Students experience senior school subject with senior school teachers
- Attend core senior subjects and senior certificate presentations
What is the purpose of Zoom into Senior Studies?
- Give year 10 students a ‘taste’ of subjects and certificate selections
- Enable students to ‘explore’ subject options and prospective courses
- Provide increased ‘clarity’ regarding the demands and expectations of each subject and certificate selection
- Unpack key components of certificate options: the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE), the Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL) and Vocational and Education Training (VET)
- Privilege time for students to experience and explore their interests, passions and aspirations as they rotate through a range of senior subjects
- Meet Senior School teachers and leaders
- Strongly position year 10 students to make an informed choice when selecting certificates and subjects in senior school